Community Worker (2018-24)
Company: Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County
Location: San Jose, CA
Status: Part Time Temporary
Community Workers will provide promotion, prevention and early intervention information, resources, and
support to families with children prenatal through age 5 through a range of activities focused on school
readiness, health, and early literacy. The following are examples of activities: Coffee talks, workshops, neighborhood association meetings, Family Resource Center activities, brief home visits, fairs, etc.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Conduct outreach, engagement and education activities with diverse families and community members
in identified districts and zip codes independently and with Associate Community Workers.
2. Partner with other organizations, agencies and entities (i.e., faith-based, schools, parent groups) to
increase the capacity and knowledge of the entire community on the importance of the first 5 years.
3. Provide information and resources in their community that are culturally, linguistically, and
4. Deliver information and resources to locations within the targeted zip codes that families with young
children are known to frequent (i.e., early care and education facilities, community centers, churches and
5. Help parents and caregivers identify gaps, barriers, and/or issues that interfere with childrens healthy
development and readiness to learn; communicating this with Family Resource Center staff; and
6. Inform the community partners and the FIRST 5 Commission, through evaluation and data, of the
gaps, barriers, and/or other obstacles families are experiencing in accessing resources, information and
services within the focus areas.
7. Inform the community of the long-term benefits to a child who experiences the following activities and
Physical well-being and motor development
Positive social and emotional development
A love of and curiosity for learning
Early Literacy and Oral Language Development
Cognitive development and general knowledge
8. Provide outreach, engagement and education activities on weekdays, evenings and weekends as
9. Provide outreach, engagement and education activities door-door, in-home, at information
tables/booths, small and large group presentations, informative announcements, and one on one
interactions with community members at informal community gatherings (i.e parks, schools, home based
day cares, parent meeting, faith-based events), and formal organized health/resource fairs.
10. Determine the needs of families to identify the appropriate programs, services and activities.
Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County
11. Participate in required trainings and attend monthly Community Worker team meetings and quarterly
trainings, as appropriate.
12. Develop an outreach, engagement and education calendar of scheduled activities.
13. Maintain on-going data collection and reporting forms for all scheduled activities.
14. Complete and submit required monthly data collection and report forms monthly to Community
Worker Program Manager.
15. Attend Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County trainings, meetings, and events as required.
16. Complete all other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Must possess a high school diploma or GED; Experience in social services in community settings with
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Read, write, and speak English; usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary and punctuation
Ability to work with diverse workgroups and serve families with diverse economic, social, racial,
and cultural backgrounds
Knowledgeable about local community resources
Ability to establish and maintain personal and programmatic boundaries while providing
Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to individuals who may not share basic
commonality, including value systems and behavior norms
Experience in working with culturally diverse communities and families
Demonstrate good writing and organizational skill
Maintain a professional, confidential work environment
Knowledge of child development and behavior
Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and multi-task
Serve effectively as a member of a team internally and externally
Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Serve closely with community members from diverse ethnic, social and economic backgrounds,
with the ability to be culturally sensitive and appropriate
Be flexible, proactive, adaptable and able to work in a fast-paced, changing environment
Be professional, trustworthy, respectful of others, and display a positive attitude
Knowledge of modern office methods and practices, including filing systems, business,
correspondence, presentations and report writing
Knowledge of the Internet, computer programs, e.g., Microsoft Word, Outlook, Power Point,
Fast paced, diverse and dynamic environment
The service is sometimes physical, requiring setting up for events which may require transporting
or lifting cumbersome materials, e.g., easels, flip charts, refreshments, brochures, chairs, tables,
Must be able to report to service site on a regular and reliable basis
Must be able to work a flexible schedule, which includes day, evening, weekend, and holiday
hours, as appropriate, to coordinate and provide services and activities for families during nontraditional
Able to travel between sites and to attend offsite events throughout the county, as appropriate
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, REGISTRATIONS:
Must possess a valid California Drivers license, reliable transportation and current auto insurance
Must be at least 18 years of age
Must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident
Clearance of fingerprint background check
Must have valid TB screening
Bilingual language capacity in Spanish/English and/or Vietnamese/English language a plus
TO APPLY: Please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax to 408-944-0276 attn: HR
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people
assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and
responsibilities are listed is not significant. Because of a need to remain responsive to the needs of our clients
and our Agencys operations, responsibilities may be modified at any time.
Catholic Charities is a non-profit, non-discriminatory service organization and employer. We do not discriminate
on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability. Persons seeking
employment are entitled to freedom from harassment and retaliation and reasonable accommodation for
Job Code: 2018-24
Your Company Name