Program Coordinator, Volunteer/Field Ombudsman (2017-114)
Company: Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County
Status: Full Time
POSITION SUMMARY: The Program Coordinator, Volunteer position is part time and will oversee the implementation and coordination of the field ombudsman recruitment, training and certification process. He/she will work closely with the Program Manager to determine the curriculum for monthly trainings. In addition this individual will assist with training on ODIN, the state-provided database to ensure that all ombudsmen are competent to enter their own cases and their monthly activity reports. There will also be some administrative responsibilities expected of this individual
The Long-term Care Ombudsman portion of this position will complement the above job to make it a full time position. As a long-term care ombudsman the individual will monitor facilities assigned, receive and investigate complaints and work to bring resolution to those complaints.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Make presentations to key groups in order to recruit potential new volunteers
Supply information about future trainings to Volunteer Program Administrative Assistant to place announcement on the CCSCC web site and Volunteer Match (and other volunteer recruitment web sites)
Work with Communications Department at CCSCC to supply information for advertisement of future training
Facilitate the application process, ensuring all paperwork is complete and on file prior to the start of the training process
Ensure each new volunteer is fingerprinted and back ground checked prior to submitting the paperwork for certification
Conduct quarterly volunteer information sessions and follow up
Participate in interview process for potential new ombudsmen
Maintain engagement of interested candidates until next training is offered
Ensure that classroom trainings are set up for the relevant chapters. Also ensure each volunteer completes the entire training, including completion of chapter tests.
Work with the Program Manager to annually set up the curriculum for monthly recertification trainings and follow up to make sure that the room is booked and set up, the speakers have been engaged and handouts are available as needed
Monitor annual continuing education credits for each volunteer, checking mid-year to ensure all are on track to complete their state requirements and offer additional training materials as needed.
Offer training to ombudsmen on ODIN the state database system.
Track volunteer years served and evaluate retention rates and trends
Arrange for exit interviews for each volunteer departing the program
Organize annual volunteer celebration and other recognition events through the year
Implement and analyze an annual volunteer satisfaction survey and provide the Program Manager with a report.
Create and compile monthly/quarterly volunteer statistics as requested.
Maintain facility coverage plan
Maintain records of certification and decertification and submit to state in a timely manner
The person in this position will also be required to serve in the field, providing coverage to a group of facilities: monitoring for quality of care, quality of life, receiving complaints made by or on behalf of the residents and working to bring resolution to those complaints.
Equivalent education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the job may be considered.
Education: Bachelors degree in Gerontology, Social Services, Health Care or related field, or combination of relevant education and experience
Experience: Minimum 2 years experience in senior services, case management, health care, advocacy or related area, especially in aging services. Familiarity with the long term care environment desirable, within the Santa Clara/Silicon Valley area.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Successfully complete mandatory Office of the State Long Term Care Ombudsman 36+ hour classroom based Ombudsman certification training course.
2. Successfully complete mandatory Office of the State Long Term Care Ombudsman 10 hour internship visits with a certified Ombudsman.
3. Successfully clear Department of Justice and FBI background and criminal record check by the Office of the State Long Term Care Ombudsman to be eligible for certification as a Long Term Care Ombudsman by the California Department of Aging.
4. Familiarity with the process of aging, as well as the issues and concerns of older adults.
5. Effective communication skills: verbal, written and public speaking.
6. Strong interpersonal skills.
7. Demonstrated success at problem-solving and conflict resolution.
8. Familiarity with community resources for seniors.
9. Self-starter, demonstrated ability to work independently and on a team.
10. Demonstrated ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds.
11. Computer skills: Windows, Word, Excel and other appropriate software.
13. Able to maintain high degree of confidentiality as mandated.
14. Sense of humor.
15. Must not have worked in a licensed Long Term Care facility in the past year in Santa Clara County.
1. Must be able to speak, hear, see and read.
2. Ability to drive. Valid CDL and auto insurance per agency requirements.
3. Ability to walk and stand for extended periods.
Office, community and long term care facilities.
Hours and other conditions:
8 hours, ability to work some weekends.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant. Because of a need to remain responsive to the needs of our clients and our Agencys operations, responsibilities may be modified at any time.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax to 408-944-0275
Catholic Charities is a non-profit, non-discriminatory service organization and employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability. Persons seeking employment are entitled to freedom from harassment and retaliation and reasonable accommodation for qualified disabilities.
Job Code: 2017-114
Your Company Name